Friday, August 28, 2009

Review by Lauren - This Book Isn't Fat, It's Fabulous

Queen-sized queen bee Riley Swain is not to be messed with.

Filthy rich and whip-smart, Riley thinks nothing of kissing her best friend's crush or taking incrimating photos of her future stepmom. But Riley has a secret. This school break, Riley will be crunching, dieting, and complaining her way to a thin new shape at New Horizons, a special program in Upper Nowheresville, New York.

Thanks Dad.

Of course, New Horizons is a nightmare: like military school without carbs. But then Riley meets adorable Eric, a boy who can go toe-to-toe with her snark, but also seems to see beyond her tough exterior. Could it be that her time away from the glitz and glamour of home will change not Riley's figure... but her heart?

Don't count on it.

*****

So first off, we're throwing in a couple more routinely, factual bits to our reviews. Add a little structure :) Alright, not really but we're trying to shake things up here so bear with it.


First Impression: Not crazy excited - I got a pile of books from the libary and it's the last one I picked up. Just sounds like overweight Gossip Girl.


So, not super pumped, but I am picky and there are a lot of books I just can't bring myself to read. So bonus points for make me... open it.


This Book Isn't Fat, It's Fabulous is about a girl named Riley, who lives a life pretty similar to the people in Gossip Girl. Upper East Side and whatnot. Plus, Riley is a pretty confident girl. So yes, it did start very much like Gossip Girl, but Riley is a much more entertaining character.

That was the first thing I liked. The style of writing, from Riley's POV, was very entertaining and funny. The book was comical. She was pretty synical & sarcastic, but all around very enjoyable. The book was also very believable in the sense that the way things worked, the character logic and whatnot, was plausible. Sometimes, I just can't understand reasoning behind other characters or things move too fast, but everything worked out perfectly for me.

So yes, Riley goes off to 'fat camp', where she definitely does not feel like she belongs. I liked that as well. Riley was so confident in herself (she constantly refers back to having the Fabulous factor) and I really commend her for that. I found the book to be very positive - especially towards teenage girls where there is so much pressure to be a certain way. I know I struggle with my body constantly but after reading this book, it made not want to care as much. This Book Isn't Fat, It's Fabulous was definitely a huge confidence & morale booster for me.

Final Impressions: This Book Isn't Fat, It's Fabulous is, in fact, fabulous to say the least. A great feel-good book with a cute love story behind it that encourages girls to love themselves for who they are - just not quite that cheesy lol.

Any Favorite Characters: Well, Riley of course. And Eric. They were really cute together -although he seemed a bit weird but I'm just going to try not to think about that. His assertiveness was cute.

5.5/6 shelves! Yay!






♥ Lauren

4 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I am going to add it to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound interesting. I'm not sure what to think of the cover though. Great review.

    You have an award from me http://casey62588.blogspot.com/2009/08/awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good.

    I gave you award:
    http://justanotherbookaddict.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-2nd-award.html

    ~Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this book sounds super cute (and with a wonderful message, too)! I can't wait to find it and check it out...

    Great review! The honesty on your part about reluctance to open it was refreshing and funny...I feel like that a lot too, at times.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter