Saturday, August 8, 2009

In My Mailbox (11)

Not a whole bunch for me this week, but really that's okay. They're all from the library actually. I always have so many library books with upcoming due dates, I never have time to get to the books I bought. :(

Sprout by Dale Peck
How many secrets can you hide in plain sight? Sprout Bradford has a secret. It's not what you think--he'll tell you he's gay. He'll tell you about his dad's drinking and his mother's death. The green fingerprints everywhere tell you when he last dyed his hair. But neither the reader nor Sprout are prepared for what happens when Sprout suddenly finds he's had a more profound effect on the lives around him than he ever thought possible. "Sprout "is both hilarious and gripping; a story of one boy at odds with the expected.

I've heard that Sprout is hilarious with lots of quirks, so I'm really interested in reading it.

Vacations From Hell by assorted authors

Life's a beach . . . and then you're undead?

in this must-have collection, five of today's hottest writers-Libba Bray (A Great and Terrible Beauty), Cassandra Clare (City of Bones), Claudia Gray (Evernight), Maureen Johnson (13 Little Blue Envelopes), and Sarah Mlynowski (Bras & Broomsticks)-tell supernatural tales of vacations gone awry. Lost luggage is only mildly unpleasant compared to bunking with a witch who holds a grudge. And a sunburn might be embarrassing and painful, but it doesn't last as long as a curse. Of course, even in the most hellish of situations, love can thrive. . . .

From light and funny to dark and creepy, these stories have something for everyone. You definitely won't want to leave this collection at home!

I like the Hell anthologies. They're always a lot of fun. :) Plus- each story is a great quick read. This time, there's quite the line up of authors.

Kiss Me, Kill Me by Lauren Henderson

When 16-year-old Scarlett Wakefield transfers from St. Tabby's to Wakefield Hall Collegiate, she is relieved that no one knows her dark, haunting secret. A few months ago, Scarlett was invited to an elite party with a guest list full of the hottest names in British society, including Dan McAndrew. Before the party, Scarlett had only imagined what it would be like to have her first kiss with Dan, but on the penthouse terrace, Dan leaned in close and she no longer had to wonder. Their kiss was beautiful and perfect and magical, and then . . . Dan McAndrew took his last breath as she held him in her arms. No one knows how or why Dan died, and everyone at St. Tabby's believes Scarlett had something to do with it. But now that she's safely hidden away at Wakefield Hall, Scarlett would rather forget that it ever happened. Only she can't. Especially when she receives an anonymous note that will set her on the path to clearing her name and finding out what really happened to the first and last boy she kissed.


First in the series. I got the second last week, so now that I got the first, I can read them both! I can't read series out of order. It just doesn't work for me.

The Waters & The Wild by Francesca Lia Block
When Bee woke up, there was a girl standing in her room. "You are me," the girl said. Then she was gone.

I am a thirteen-year-old double Gemini. I get bad grades, write poetry with my left hand, dance in my room, surf the net. I Google images of the tattoos my mom won't let me get. . . .

But my world belongs to someone else. Someone who lives below the concrete of Los Angeles, someone with wild eyes and twigs in her hair.

And I think she wants her life back.


I haven't read anything by Francesca Lia Block. Anyone read this book and would recommend it? I really just like the cover.

Lush by Natasha Friend
It's hard to be a thirteen-year-old girl. But it's even harder when your father's a drunk. It adds an extra layer to everything- your family's reactions to things, the people you're willing to bring home, the way you see yourself and the world. For Samantha, it's something that's been going on for so long that she's almost used to it. Only, you never get used to it. Especially when it starts to get worse...

I read Perfect by Natasha Friend ages ago, and enjoyed it, so figured why not. Take a crazy chance.




So I actually don't have these books yet. But they're waiting at the library for me! I just need to pick them up. I was going to today, and then realized I didn't have my library card- my mom did. :( Tomorrow hopefully though, I'll be able to get them. I figured I needed something for this week though.

This meme is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren, who was inspired by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie. What books did you get this week?

20 comments:

  1. Wow, in every one of your IMM posts, you have awesome books (: I need to go pick up a couple of books at the library too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great week! Such an awesome haul from the library this time around, great selections. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books you got this week, Kiss Me Kill me is a really good book. Also, I really like the sound of Sprout. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh The Waters & The Wild, that's a lovely cover. Great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sprout is fantastic! Haven't read the others, but they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lush sounds great. And the Vacations from Hell--I want to get into that series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiss Me, Kill Me sounds really good. You got some great books this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kiss Me Kill Me is really good - I've read both that and the sequel :) Happy Reading all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice week! I enjoyed Sprout, looking forward to your thoughts on it.

    & I know what you mean about libraries - there's no way I could borrow books from there as I'd never get them back in time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of those look great! Especially Kiss Me, Kill Me. Nice selection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vacations From Hell looks brilliant and I've heard great things about Sprout too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I <3 Francesca Lia Block, so I hope you enjoy The Waters and the Wild!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! They all sound great :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS I love the background!

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, all of these sound great! Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice week, Alex. Kiss Me Kill Me looks really good. I wants!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great books! I really want to read Sprout & Kiss Me, Kill Me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Francesca Lia Block is a really interesting author. I've read some of her books in the past, and they all seem very unique from a lot of other books on the market. Hope you enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH you had some great books this week. I want to read Kiss me, Kill me.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter