Friday, August 14, 2009

Review by Lauren - Love You Hate You Miss You

Love You, Hate You, Miss You by Elizabeth Scott

Get this, I'm supposed to be starting a journal about "my journey." Please. I can see it now: Dear Diary, As I'm set adrift on this crazy sea called "life" . . . I don't think so.

It's been seventy-five days. Amy's sick of her parents suddenly taking an interest in her.
And she's really sick of people asking her about Julia. Julia's gone now, and she doesn't want to talk about it. They wouldn't get it, anyway. They wouldn't understand what it feels like to have your best friend ripped away from you.
They wouldn't understand what it feels like to know it's your fault.

Amy's shrink thinks it would help to start a diary. Instead, Amy starts writing letters to Julia.
But as she writes letter after letter, she begins to realize that the past wasn't as perfect as she thought it was—and the present deserves a chance too.

When I first started reading this book, I was sor tof disappointed - I wanted another Perfect You or Stealing Heaven and instead I start reading about dead best friends, rehab, drugs, and all I wanted was a cute little story with some minor plot twists - but slowly, things started to change. By the end of Love You Hate You Miss You, I couldn't think of anything wrong with it.

You grow to love Amy, and although I didn't like her at first because she was really closed off and angry - which is totally understandable but still... - seeing her recovery, getting back into real life and growing as a person really drew me in. Usually, I have a hard time enjoying a story without that whole romance thing, but even though it was barely there in the book, it was right. Amy wasn't ready for the whole intense relationship thing, but it worked.

I also enjoyed the alternating between narration and Amy's letters to Julia and how their relationship changes through the letters - in the beginning, they were her only way of venting but as the book ends, she can barely write to her anymore. I guess what I found enjoyable was seeing Amy finally get her life together even though it was the result of tragedy.

6/6!














♥ Lauren

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a compelling & irresitable book. And you gave it all the shelves so I'll give it a try! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I loved this one, so far it's my favorite out of Elizabeth's books.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. It is added to my list!
    ~Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! I can't wait to read it, I signed up for the One ARC tour, so hopefully I'll be getting it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Elizabeth Scott. I've been wanting to read this ever since it came out. I'm glad its good and you liked it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have this book just waiting for me to read it and knowing you loved it makes me want to read it even moreeee.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter