Monday, August 17, 2009

Review by Lauren: Candor

Candor by Pam Bachorz

In the model community of Candor, Florida, every teen wants to be like Oscar Banks. The son of the town’s founder, Oscar earns straight As, is student-body president, and is in demand for every club and cause. But Oscar has a secret. He knows that parents bring their teens to Candor to make them respectful, compliant–perfect–through subliminal Messages that carefully correct and control their behavior. And Oscar’s built a business sabotaging his father’s scheme with Messages of his own, getting his clients out before they’re turned. After all, who would ever suspect the perfect Oscar Banks?Then he meets Nia, the girl he can’t stand to see changed. Saving Nia means losing her forever. Keeping her in Candor, Oscar risks exposure . . . and more.

So I'm pretty sure this is the first ARC we've received (yay!) and, in case you were wondering, yes I am cooped up in my house with nothing to do. I read two books yesterday and one the day before.

Candor follows Oscar Banks, son of the town founder of Candor. Candor is like this perfect little town where everyone studies and eats carrots and milk at the movie theatres. It's because of hidden, subconscious messages that are constantly streamed around town, instructing people about right and wrong.

Somehow, Oscar has managed to opress his messages and is helping newcoming teens escape Candor before they get sucked in forever - no one leaves, or those who do end up dying - people become dependant on the messages. Oscar still plays his part well and his dad remains unsuspecting. Then, Nia moves to town and she is anything but Candor. Oscar tries to befriend her and save her before she turns into a clone, but quickly falls in love with her.

I found Candor really sad. Not sad in an, "oh let's just sob during the entire novel" way, but more like aching. Depressing Seeing the people and the brainwashing when Oscar can do nothing about it... Seriously, if I were him, I would not last. I loved Oscar and Nia's relashionship and the concept of the novel. It was really well written but I'm just going to say that if you're having a bad day, I wouldn't suggest reading this. And yes, I did cry - hopefully there is a sequel. It ends on a slightly depressing note. Catch 22 and all that.

Anyhow, Candor is out on September 22 so go check it out!

5/6 for making me sad.















♥ Lauren

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it! :D

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind sad books, I mean we can't have our happily ever after all the time. But I understand where you're coming from, if you're already having a bad day I'd probably say save this for another day lol

    I'm exciting to pick up a copy =) Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to this a lot. Can't wait to read it even if it makes me sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candor sounds good. Maybe I can get an ARC (probably not). Hopefully I'll be really happy when I read it so the book won't make me feel 2 sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it wrong that I'm happy it made you sad? Thanks for the review! -Pam

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter