Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Review by Lauren - Lipstick Apology

Sometimes a good-bye is just the beginning…
When Emily Carson’s parents die in a plane crash, she’s left with nothing but her mother’s last words scrawled in lipstick on a tray table: “Emily, please forgive me.”


Now it’s fall and Emily moves to New York City— where she attracts the attention of two very different boys: the cute, popular Owen, and her quirky chemistry partner, Anthony. With the help of some surprising new friends, Emily must choose between the boy who helps her forget and the one who encourages her to remember, and ultimately heal.

Debut author Jennifer Jabaley has written a wonderful, feel-good romantic comedy with real emotional depth. Full of lovably wacky characters, Lipstick Apology is a heartwarming story about the true meaning of forgiveness.

I put off reading this book. Basically because I judged it by it's cover. (I know, I know, but it looked so Gossip Girl to me that I didn't want to have anything to do with it.) And once again, I'm going to give another good review - I'm not going soft, it's just been a really lucky streak I guess. Soon I'll be moaning and groaning and be back to normal.

Lipstick Apology fits into my little section of "Books I loved but there is nothing super amazingly awesome about it". You know - the difference between The Hunger Games and Sarah Dessen? They sortof fit into two different categories of amazing books. I've sortof been not-so-interested in these books recently, but I will say that I very much enjoyed Lipstick Apology.

After Emily moved to New York and got her whole makeover and popular friends, I was really hoping she'd manange to keep parts of her old life with her. I didn't want the whole story line of losing the not-so-cool best friend and turning into a huge pain. Thank God she didn't. Through everything, Emily managed to stay grounded and never made me want to smack her. Well, most of the time.

---- Sortof spoiler ahead? It's a romantic spoiler if you can't already figure out what's going to happen, don't read it... ----

And of course we all know which boy she's going to pick in the end lol but the actual romantic feelings between them, the chemistry, the "I can't stop thinking about how much I looooove him" feelings weren't there. They whole thing was kindof, "Oh I guess I like him" BAM, book is over. Spoiler? Or could you just see it coming? :/

---- That's the end of that... ----

So I liked Lipstick Apology. There was no trying to turn it into some huuge, epic novel of intensity, but it still had substance. I find sometimes that you read a novel like this and something weird happens like she has to save the world and you're like "Where did this come from??". But I definitely was entertained the entire time.

5/6


♥ Lauren

8 comments:

  1. This is on my list of books to get and read. I want it so bad! I really enjoyed your review though I confess skipping the spoiler part. lol. I know what you mean about the different categories. Can't wait to read this one.

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I think i might check this one out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this review because I know just what you mean about books you love even though that aren't that awesome. The part of The Hunger Games and Sarah Dessen cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading this. I also know what you mean about books that are amazing to you, even though nothing big happens. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like it could be deep but probably not. So who does she choose? The lab partner or the popular boy and which one helps her forget and the other to remember? I'm guessing she goes with the lab partner at the end. Thats what usually happens at the end of these books. Go Gossip Girl Haters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so know what you mean about great, but not super amazing.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Award for you over at my blog!

    http://thebookpixie.blogspot.com/2009/08/award-extravaganza-mini-series-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when I judge a book by it's cover but sometimes I still find myself doing it lol.I'm glad you read this book because now I know about the book.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter