Monday, September 7, 2009

Review by Alex: Love You Hate You Miss You

Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott
Get this, I'm supposed to be starting a journal about "my journey." Please. I can see it now: Dear Diary, As I'm set adrift on this crazy sea called "life" . . . I don't think so.

It's been seventy-five days. Amy's sick of her parents suddenly taking an interest in her.

And she's really sick of people asking her about Julia. Julia's gone now, and she doesn't want to talk about it. They wouldn't get it, anyway. They wouldn't understand what it feels like to have your best friend ripped away from you.

They wouldn't understand what it feels like to know it's your fault.

Amy's shrink thinks it would help to start a diary. Instead, Amy starts writing letters to Julia.

But as she writes letter after letter, she begins to realize that the past wasn't as perfect as she thought it was-and the present deserves a chance too.

Now, Lauren's already reviewed this... almost a month ago. So I'm a little late. Oh well!



First Impression
: It's Elizabeth Scott! Going to be nice smooth writing, interesting, good romance.
But it was more than my expectations. Love You Hate You Miss You is darker than most of Elizabeth Scott's other novels, except for probably Living Dead Girl. I say probably because I haven't actually read the latter, but judging from the description, I'm guessing it is.



Love You Hate You Miss You reminded me a lot of Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (which I'm listening to on audio). It has the main girl's friend die and so the girl is messed up. Both have problems, Lia in Wintergirls with anorexia, Amy with drinking. They both had to deal with parents who didn't care before, and now after the death of their best friend, their parents are overbearing.



One of the best things I find with Elizabeth Scott is her unusual family relationship. I've heard of parents neglecting their child because they hate each other's guts, but the parents loving each other too much to pay attention to their child? Very original. I've never read anything like that. There's tons of other types of relationships too: Amy's friendship with Julia that may not have been a good influence, her tentative new friendships with others, and even some romance! Of course.


As usual, the writing is wonderful and smooth. I did find some parts weird where it changes from the normal past tense to present tense though. It was always just a paragraph, and it through me off. I think I would have preferred the whole book to be past tense. Regardless, very nice writing, as to be expected from Elizabeth Scott.


Amy's a great character, full of raw pain and angst. She's confused, lonely, and often angry at the world. As Lauren, said, you do grow to love her. I loved her from the beginning, because I tend to always like the messed up and angry, sarcastic girls. :D Boys too actually. Just characters in general because those are always the most interesting.


I found the plot to be a little predictable, not really new or unique, but loveable and bringing new life anyway.


Final Impressions: Wonderful! Great book. Probably my favourite by Elizabeth Scott because it's a little darker. :) You should go read it now! Especially if you're a fan of Elizabeth Scott or of Wintergirls. Actually, you've probably already read it since it's been out for a few months now...


Favourite Character: Amy! I enjoyed a lot of the other characters too, but probably Amy's my favourite. Her parents come right after. xD


5/6!












1 comment:

  1. I read Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott- it's the only book I've read by her. This one looks great though, I'll definitely have to get a copy. Awesome review(:

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter