Friday, September 18, 2009

Look! Bookish News!

or We have a few news we've recently stumbled upon, and think may be interesting to others.

The first (found by Alex): The Wizarding World of Harry Potter coming to life in Universal Studios!

Watch the video below for more information and an animated map of what the world will look like.



Doesn't that look SO COOL? I really want to go! The Youtube video isn't actually the full video. I couldn't find the embed of the whole thing. You can watch the whole thing here though. Expect an appearance of Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy for all you living under a rock) in the second half. Listen for the magical music upon his entrance.

The world of HP will be at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. And it's supposed to open in spring 2010! For more news, you can visit the site. I really recommend going to look at the site, because there's lots of neat stuff, like news and pictures.

The second: a change on name in Shiver & a trailer
[Actually, this is old news, but Lauren just read Shiver and discovered this, so it's here.]

So I, Lauren, just finished reading Shiver and shame on you if you didn't read my review. Lol it's ok. You can find it here.

I then went on to do a bit of research on Maggie Stiefvater's sequel to Shiver, Linger, here and found this: (concerning Sam, the main character)

"The more observant of my readers on my Livejournal blog have noticed that the main character from SHIVER has changed names. This is sort of eerie, since I hadn't realized I'd babbled about them enough to realize the names weren't the same, but the fact is, it's true. Sam Roth (which is, for the record, the best name ever) the character from SHIVER who becomes a wolf for the winter, is now Lee Spence.

That sentence, my friends, is the result of 16 hours of baby name book searching, thousands of calories of cookie dough consumption, silent raging, not silent raging, denial, googling, and finally, acceptance.

Because this agony is something that other authors will probably have to go through and because it gives me an excuse to look at a photo of Lee Pace, I'm going to tell my sordid little naming story here.

So. This all started way back when my werewolf story was only a twinkle in my eye. I'd had the dream that sort of laid down the premise, but only two of the characters (neither of them main characters) came with names in the dream. (And one of the two names in the dream was "Robert de Niro" so I had to change it anyway). I can't start writing a novel until I have the Perfect Names for my main characters, so I was in the brainstorming phase. I wanted something sort of timeless, soft-sounding, and inherently sad and emotastic. Which brought me to Sam, partially because of the way that Meg Ryan said, "Oh, Sam," in Addicted to Love, after she's torn his heart into little tiny pieces and feels bad about it, but is stuck in the floor, so she can't do anything but watch from afar and say:

"Oh, Sam."

I just thought . . . whooo, shivers. I imagined the scene where Grace, the other main character, first sees him as a person after years of obsessing over him as a wolf. And when she asks his name, he says, "Sam." And I knew that was it.

Except it wasn't. Because there is this author y'all may have heard of, Stephenie Meyer, who apparently has also written about werewolves. Who knew?That's sarcasm.

Anyway. So apparently, she also had a wolf character named Sam. Who knew?

That's not sarcasm.

I'd read TWILIGHT, but it's been a few years, so I'd completely forgotten that there was a werewolf named Sam in it. And my editors had too. And my crit partners. And basically all of the folks that had worked on the novel since last fall when I first began writing it. But not someone at the Scholastic sales meeting. And not, my editors reasoned (once they had this brought to their attention), the hoards of passionate TWILIGHT fans who had the demographics of every TWILIGHT character stenciled onto their arms with glittery pink ink. Sorry, sparkly. Sparkly pink ink. So at the very end of the editing process, after I'd lived with my characters as Sam and Grace my editors said that "Sam" had to go.

I sputtered and begged and pleaded and finally googled "sam werewolf," where I was greeted by one gagillion hits to Team Jacob and Sam Uley, The First Werewolf Named Sam. And I hung my sad head in defeat, because my editors were right, as they often are. Which meant that my favorite bit of dialog in the entire novel had to completely change:

"Grace,” I said, very softly. “Say something.”
“Sam,” she said, and I crushed her to me.

This was when the silent raging began. Because I knew I had to do something, but I didn't want to. I still had a sequel to write, after all, and I was going to have to live with a not-Sam for another 95,000 words. It wasn't just SHIVER that was riding on this name change, it was the fate of the sequel, LINGER (probably LINGER), as well, and probably my entire sanity as well. My critique partner, Tessa Gratton, spent about 8 hours IMing me back and forth, sifting through hundreds of names, looking for the perfect replacement that would ellicit the same emotional response in me as "Sam."

The catalog copy deadline was, I should add, bearing down on us at this moment, giving us about two days to come up with a replacement. At that point, I think my mood was best classified as "angry/ morose drunk."

Examples of angry/morose drunk exchanges? This is sort of a montage of conversations that occured on Day Two of the Great Name Debacle.

DAVID (editor) to me and ABBY (other editor): How about Daniel? I've always been partial to Daniel.

ABBY to me and DAVID: Daniel is nice.

ME to TESSA: Daniel! Daniel!? Why do they keep saying Daniel to me in my hour of need? Have they not heard Elton John?

TESSA: There, there. How about Jonah? It sounds emotastic.

ME to my DAD: I need something other than Sam, even though Sam is the most perfect name invented.

DAD: Why, again? Because there's this other sampire in TWILIGHT?

ME: Werewolf.

DAD: But 'sampire' is funnier. How about Jack?

ME: Why was I ever born?

Eventually, I really buckled down, hit the stacks, and finally came back to the first name that had occured to me at the beginning of the Great Name Debacle: Lee. It was soft, reminded me of blue jeans, inherently emotastic, and moreover, was the name of the actor who I think of when I think of what Sam/ Lee looks like: Lee Pace. (cue audience reaction: awwww). So now I had Lee Roth. Like Kate Winslet's character at the end of Titanic, I was sad, but triumphant. I told my art critique partners about the name change.

One of them, my friend Nicole, said, "um, Maggie, have you, um, googled 'Lee Roth'?"

I did.

Those of you who were born slightly before me will probably already know what I found. Sigh. So, with a nod to irritating rockers who have ruined a generation of fictional "Roths", I changed his last name to Spence.

So there you have it. The story of how Sam Roth became Lee Spence and everyone lived happily ever after. And the other day, I actually said "Lee and Grace" all by myself, without accidentally saying "Sa-Lee" first. So maybe there is hope for me yet. "


All I can say is that I'm devasted. LEE? LEE? arg. the pain.

So what do you guys think of the name change?

oh, and Maggie did the entire trailer for Shiver (including the gorgeous music :)). I loved the book. So check it out!

8 comments:

  1. I really liked the name Sam Now, since that it's getting changed, other readers will probably be confused. :( :( :(

    Lee is an okay name. We'll just get used to it.

    Just like you, the first thoughts in my head were "Lee?!!"

    Haha. Thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait... what? They're changing the character's name after the first book?

    Gah. Stephenie Meyer ruins everything. (And she wasn't even the first author to use "Sam" as a werewolf/shapeshifter name. Why does everybody forget about Charlaine Harris?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard in my life. I did not even realize while I was reading Shiver that there was a werewolf in the Twilight Saga with the same name, nor have I heard anyone else complain about this. Wow, this sucks. Is she just going to change his name for the next books, or are they republishing Shiver entirely? Gah! It just makes me angered. And, Lee?! Nothing like Sam at all! I love Sam, not Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any non-frustrated words to use for this whole situation, so I'll just leave at this: STUPID. And incredibly confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg. i want to go to florida. now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lee? I don't get it. I feel really rather upset for Maggie Stievater, because it must be so hard to think of a character she's become attached to by a different name.

    I'm incredibly excited about the Harry Potter theme park thing though. I'll defintely be going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say that you were tagged by me...(see blog for more info)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm sorry, but Stephenie Meyer isn't a good enough reason to change the name of a MAIN character. Bad idea, worse reasoning. Like Sam in twilight barely counts as a minor character!
    oh and that Sam quote was cute!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter