Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (11)

Smirnoff's Daughter by Margie Gelbwasser

Once again, no cover. D: I seem to just lately pick tenners who don't have covers yet...

Publishing date: September 1, 2010
Publisher: Flux
Goodreads |
Description:
Alyssa Bondar’s world is falling apart. She has just entered her sophomore year at Glenfair High, the only place to hang out is behind the CVS, Keith her cross-country crush keeps sending her mixed signals, and her best friend Lana has started the school year with large breasts and a sexy attitude–-attracting the attention of the most popular kids in the school, a group Alyssa clearly doesn’t fit into.

Alyssa’s Jewish, like most of Glenfair, but since she’s also Russian, Alyssa feels even more separated from other teens. How many other Jewish families have a New Year’s tree with ornaments? On top of all this, Alyssa’s once stable home environment has become chaotic.

Alyssa is used to alcohol accompanying every meal and event in the Russian culture. But when Alyssa’s mother loses her job, the usual drink or two changes into a full-time happy hour. While Alyssa's father uses news reports of war unrest in the Middle East as his escape from reality, Alyssa is left to pick up the pieces of her shattered family alone. As her mother’s alcoholism gets worse, Alyssa must decide how much she can and should handle before she crumbles as well.

All right, I actually kind of did pick this book for this WoW post because of the title. "Smirnoff's Daughter" makes me think of "Smurf's Daughter" which makes me think of "Smurf penis" which makes me think of How I Met Your Mother. XD Anyone else watch that show? It's hilarious.

Actually, I don't know where the title comes from. I'm trying to figure it out... But the main character's last name is Bondar, not Smirnoff. Now I want to read the book to find out. But it doesn't come out until more than a year... D:

And doesn't the description sound fabulous? Granted, I'm not into reading about religion, but I think the alcoholism negates it for me. That sounds weird. I mean to say, I want to read about alcoholism to learn about it. And she's Russian. Um, awesome much? (I'm from Canada and anything further than the US seems exotic. :P)

That little line of maybe romance has me hooked, too. "Keith her cross-country crush keeps sending her mixed signals".

Honestly, September of next year is too far away. And September of this year is too close: School. 'Nuff said. Although I want the September 09 books. Just not school... argh.

Anyway, that's mine for this week. Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

- Alex

8 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book before, but it does sound interesting. I was going to say I was surprised it doesn't have a cover yet, but the release date is over a year away, guess that explains it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good. It is added to my list. That is a long wait. =(
    Here is mine

    www.imwaitingonwednesday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smirnoff is a Russian vodka. That's probably the connection...alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so intriguing. I love FLUX books. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one thenn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read about alcoholism before either! Sounds interesting. It's definitely a tough issue.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one certainly sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh Smirnoff is alcohol. That makes sense. I hadn't realized. XD Thanks for that!

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alcoholism is pretty prevalent in the older generation here in Germany. But they prefer their beer or wine to vodka.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter