Monday, April 27, 2009

Review by Alex- I Know It's Over

Alright. This is key. This is exciting. This. Is. My. First. Review. On. This. Blog. Oh man, I'm ecstatic. A little background on me first. I have reviewed books. But on my livejournal, and only to my friends. Which pretty much consisted of Lauren. But this is out in public. Oh!

And also. We, both Lauren and I, are recording all the books we've read so far in 2009. The goal is to read up to 100 books. If anyone wants see the lists or follow along, the links are these: me and Lauren. Add us if you like on lj.

And my first review is for...

I Know It's Over! By C. K. Kelly Martin. Yay!

PURE. UNPLANNED. PERFECT. Those were Nick’s summer plans before Sasha stepped into the picture. With the collateral damage from his parents’ divorce still settling and Dani (his girl of the moment) up for nearly anything, complications are the last thing he needs. All that changes, though, when Nick runs into Sasha at the beach in July. Suddenly he’s neck-deep in a relationship and surprised to find he doesn’t mind in the least. But Nick’s world shifts again when Sasha breaks up with him. Then, weeks later, while Nick’s still reeling from the breakup, she turns up at his doorstep and tells him she’s pregnant. Nick finds himself struggling once more to understand the girl he can’t stop caring for, the girl who insists that it’s still over.

I have to say, it wasn't as amazing as I had hoped. I had high expectations for this book. I saw it was a Cybils finalist and I'd heard and read good things about it. So when I finally got it from my public library, since for some reason, I was never able to request it until like two months after the library got it, (which is months after the book is published), I read it right way. I can't say it wasn't good, because it was. I just had such great expectations. Stupid expectations; always getting in my way.

I'm not exactly sure why I don't like this book as much as I think I should. It is unflinchingly honest and truthful. It has great characters and plot. It is uncensored but realistic. But I guess, to me, it wasn't all that hopeful. It just... made me sad. Don't get me wrong, I love sad books, but there needs to be hope, and ultimately, I read to make myself happy, not sad. I love happy endings, or even just endings that are hopeful, and then that makes me hopeful. I didn't find I Know It's Over one of those books. When I finished it, late last night, I went more "Aaaw. :(" then "Aaaw. How sweet. I loved it! :)" like I do with other books.

Another thing, I suppose, is the characters. I thought Nick was great. He's a normal guy, trying to deal with things the best he can. Sasha though... she annoyed me. I don't really know why. Maybe it's her decisions. I never really got why Sasha dumped Nick in the first place, why they fought before that, and why Nick didn't really get any say about the baby. She seemed too selfish to me, and not all that interesting. I liked her at the beginning, with her attitude and the way she wasn't afraid to tell Nick off. But after that... not so much. I'm more used to reading about the female as the narrator and the guy as the love interest though. That way, I relate to the girl more, and the guy I can drool over. XD I just couldn't relate to Sasah as the love interest.

I really liked the secondary characters though. I thought Holland was great, and Nathan. Funny, second book I've read where there's a guy named Nathan who's gay and amazing. XD

Honestly, it was a good read though. It's very well crafted and I did think it was beautiful. Maybe it's just me not for me. I would recommend it though for others.

Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter