Sunday, July 18, 2010

Review by Alex- Prophecy of the Sisters

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
Sixteen-year-old Lia Milthorpe and her twin sister Alice have just become orphans, and, as Lia discovers, they have also become enemies. The twins are part of an ancient prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other. To escape from a dark fate and to remain in the arms of her beloved boyfriend James, Lia must end the prophecy before her sister does. Only then will she understand the mysterious circumstances of her parents' deaths, the true meaning of the strange mark branded on her wrist, and the lengths to which her sister will go to defeat her.

Debut novelist Michelle Zink takes readers on an unforgettable journey where one sister's fateful decision could have an impact of Biblical proportions. Prophecy of the Sisters is the first of three books.

First Impressions: I bought Prophecy of the Sisters ages ago, with high hopes and expectations after reading many praising reviews for it. And then... it just sat on my shelf for ages. (Actually, I lent it to Lauren, who read it and returned it. Then it sat on my shelf.) So when summer came, I finally pulled it back out.

Honestly not too sure why I left it unread for so long, but perhaps it's a good thing I did. Because there is nothing better than reading Prophecy of the Sisters while lying on a hammock in the shade, next to the beach. Prophecy of the Sisters has this dark atmosphere and is the perfect book to read all on your own, without distractions, in my opinion. Its writing is a little denser than other YA novels' writing, but much richer and poetic. Really beautiful, in other words. The fact that it's so different sets it apart from contemporary novels, or novels with settings in our time. Instead, the writing brings us to the past.

And what a past it is. Reminding me of Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy (which is high praise- I adore that series, as Lauren and my youtube video should attest) Prophecy of the Sisters has girls with mysterious special powers, a strong and compelling plot, secrets that are to be uncovered, and friendships and love. What's not to find interesting in the novel?

That said, some of it is a little confusing, and a lot of it did seem like set-up. But this is the first novel in a trilogy, so that's to be unexpected and not much can be done about it.

Final Impressions: Prophecy of the Sisters is a great start that has a beautifully haunting atmosphere and tone and well done characters and relationships. Though I'm itching for more romance! All I can say, is I'm glad that I waited so long to read Prophecy of the Sisters so I don't have to wait long for Guardian of the Gates, book 2, coming out August 1, this year.

Lauren reviewed this one a while back, like when it actually came out, here, if you all want a second opinion, which of course, you do, right?






3 comments:

  1. Awesome review! The Gemma Doyle Trilogy is high praise for me too! That's my favourite series ever. I've heard that comparison before. I STILL have to read this one. It looks so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet either and neither have I finished the entire Gemma Doyle Trilogy but Prophecy of Sister sounds so fantastic!! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this book better than the Gemma Doyle Trilogy. There's something about Michelle Zinks writing style that I really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter