Monday, August 9, 2010

Review by Lauren - Guardian of the Gate

Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink

The ultimate battle between sisters is nearing, and its outcome could have catastrophic consequences. As sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe searches for ...more The ultimate battle between sisters is nearing, and its outcome could have catastrophic consequences. As sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe searches for a way to end the prophecy, her twin sister Alice hones the skills she'll need to defeat Lia. Alice will stop at nothing to reclaim her sister's role in the prophecy, and that's not the only thing she wants: There's also Lia's boyfriend James.

Lia and Alice always knew the Prophecy would turn those closest to them against them. But they didn't know what betrayal could lead them to do. In the end, only one sister will be left standing.


First Impressions: Not so pumped since the first one disappointed me - you can read my review here and Alex's here.

So I decided I would switch back to a bit of teen literature, and this one seemed like a good place to start. If you haven't read the first book, Prophecy of the Sisters, you pretty much have to read it first. I spent the first couple chapters completely bewildered because I just couldn't remember all the crazy information from the first book. There is a lot of background to these books, so you really can't just jump in somewhere.

I liked Guardian of the Gate more than Prophecy of the Sisters for a couple reasons. First, more happened in this book. The first one had a lot of carousing around and information, setting up for the next two books. So I was hoping this one would have some big moments. I will admit it definitely had more to it than the first one, but it was still a big set-up for the next book. That's pretty much the only issue I had with it, but it wasn't enough for me to put the book down or anything - I read it in a night.

The second reasons I enjoyed Guardian of the Gate more than Prophecy of the Sisters was the romance. Yes, yes, that's all I live for in a book, but despite Lia's adorable relationship with James in the first book, I still found myself wishing for more. Guardian of the Gate definitely has more. I won't reveal too much, but it was plenty for me.

Final Impressions: Better than the first one for sure, but still not up there in my favorites. Keeps that haunting atmosphere but not quite as dark as the first one.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter