Saturday, May 8, 2010

Review by Lauren: Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them legions of faithful fans.

First Impressions: Alright. So I was looking forward to reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson (let's just call it WG, WG because let's face it, that's a long title), but I'm going to be honest here, neither John Green nor David Levithan have blown me away in the past. Alex is a huge fan of John Green, but I've never really gotten hooked on any of his stuff. As for David Levithan, I definitely enjoyed Nick & Nora and Naomi & Eli but once again, never a huge fan. So yes, I was looking forward to reading WG, WG, but I haven't been counting down the days to it's release.

I left WG, WG with the same outlook on it as I had going in. No, it did not blow my socks off, but I think I did enjoy it more than prior novels. The book definitely started out on a bit of an uncertain note, but things all seemed to click about fifty pages in and everything took off from there. It's a feel-good novel, great for contemporary, with characters that face some really difficult issues. One thing I really did like was how average a lot of the characters were, and I think that's something John Green does really well in his novels - so kudos for that :)

The multiple characters were definitely a plus for the novel (which is something David Levithan seems to do really well) and each Will Grayson brought a completely different outlook to the story. Having one gay character and one straight was also really interesting, and honestly, I didn't really have any issues with the story - it just didn't blow me away is all.

Final Impressions: Like I mentioned, if you are a fan of either of these authors, you'll love WG, WG, but I'm not going to fawn over it, because it's just not something that I really connect with on a different level and love to death.

















4 comments:

  1. I've heard such great things about this book. I can't wait to read it. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE both of these authors, but I still liked your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the review, i'm gonna read it anyways cuz i'm a huge John Green fan.. *hurry up and get it, library!!*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the honest review. I loved it though it isn't my favorite novel from neither John nor David. Still it was such a funny book. Tiny Cooper was the best!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter