Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mini Reviews by Alex

Gosh, it's been ages. But I read quite a bit over the holidays, so here are a few mini reviews on some of the books I did read. :) Hopefully I'll post some actual longer reviews of other books soon.

Every Crooked Pot by Renee Rosen
I read this one ages ago, and decided to reread it again, since it's been on my mind for a while now. It doesn't seem like many people know of it, but it's actually really good. About a girl who grows up in the 70s, with a "larger than life" father, and a huge birthmark over her eye that disfigures her, Every Crooked Pot is written simply by the girl from age 7 to 20 or so. It strikes a cord deep down, with lots of realisations; it's essentially a beautiful coming of age novel, that's highly unforgettable. 5/6

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
With several author recommendations and a description that is both confusing and enticing, When You Reach Me is a book a really looked forward to reading. It does not disappoint. Many things don't make sense at all at first, but as the pages keep turning (and they will, I assure you; the novel's addicting) the pieces come together to craft a story that's intelligent and unique, despite referencing frequently to another novel. This story's definitely not just for kids. 5/6

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
While I wasn't as enamored with Hush Hush like many others, it's surely one of the best paranormal romances out at the moment. Nora's an interesting protagonist: she has a brain, for one, though I sometimes question her judgement. Patch has the whole bad boy image going for him, in all his pool playing, black clad, dirty joking glory. Anticipation for the sequel, Crescendo, is high, with secrets and mysteries still left to unfold. 4.5/6

The Blonde of the Joke by Bennett Madison
It has an intriguing description, and quite a few big authors praising it, but I honestly did not get The Blonde of the Joke. It's like one long joke, and I missed the punch line. I do think that it's wonderful that a usually ordinary place like a mall can be transformed into a magical and exciting place. But it seems like there wasn't much of a plot of the novel- or perhaps it's missing a point. Though it could just be me missing the point. (All you who have read it, what's the deal with the Sign and her brother?) 3/6

4 comments:

  1. When You Reach Me sounds really good. I've read a lot of great reviews of it - maybe I should get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you are back!! :D

    Glad to see the reviews although they are short. Still, they are great. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite books last year. I'll never forget Frankie.

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete

Say anything! We'd love to hear what you think. :)

 
Site Meter